Espoo is the fastest growing city in Finland, and an integral part of the Helsinki capital metropolitan area. The city is a frontrunner in intelligent and sustainable, smart city development: Espoo is the most sustainable city in Europe, and won the international Intelligent Community Award 2018.
Espoo has been nominated pioneer and one of 25 the cities participating UN’s SDGCity leadership programme of the UN Agenda 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. The city joined the Covenant of Mayors 2020 commitment in 2010. In February 2018, Espoo has also signed the Covenant of Mayors 2030 commitment to reduce the city’s greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2030.
The goal is to be a top performer of sustainable city development in Europe. Espoo has set in the city strategy a cross-administrative development programme “Sustainable Espoo” for the council term 2017-2021 to implement actions towards carbon-neutral Espoo 2030. The programme has five key utility goals:
- Espoo is built and developed using smart solutions,
- Citizen mobility is made easier and multi-modal transport is fostered,
- Emission-free energy production and smart energy solutions,
- Espoo citizens act responsibly.
- Environmental benefits and recreational opportunities of the nearby surroundings grow.
The City of Espoo, together with the wider Helsinki metropolitan area, has an ambition to become the best test bed in the world for smart and clean solutions by 2021.